These episodes, wherein he throws himself to the floor (good thing our carpet is thick and soft) and wails, occured for various reasons, including, but not limited to:
a) His snack cup had been spotted in a state of emptiness
b) I failed to throw him up in the air 1.7 billion consecutive times without stopping
c) The sky was falling
d) It was his party and he could cry if he wanted to. Clearly, he wanted to.
However, once bedtime actually rolled around, despite his over-sleepiness, he opened up a can of Cute & Charming, and played ball with Stanley, who has now been upgraded to something like "Nonny" which I'm sure John appreciates, since formerly the dog was called "Daddy." The real Daddy, however, is still usually called Ababa, which is in fact Amharic for Daddy, so that is just fine, except that he still uses this word for random people sometimes as well. Hey, it's still better than sharing a title with the dog. :)
Anyway, here are happy pictures: (and new jammies!)
Look! Even a smile!
This is by far the most composed he's been around "Nonny" as of yet. He still got nervous if the dog made a sudden move, tho, like he wasn't quite sure whether to scream in terror or just giggle.
And, since I mentioned the new jammies, I have a dilemma that any of you mothers (or non-mothers who just specialize in good ideas) who might not be in the midst of a boredom-induced narcoleptic fit by now can feel free to weigh in on... Isaac hates blankets. He hates them over him when he is awake, and since he's a pretty wild sleeper, they really do not stay on him even if you put them over him after he's asleep. But his little legs and feet are so cold in the mornings! He really only had one pair of warm jammies that fit him comfortably (Thanks Aunt Marcia!) til I bought these for a backup, but even in the footie pajamas his little toesies get so cold. Maybe I should not worry about it, because he's apparently not cold enough that he wakes up, but I still feel bad for him in the morning when he feels cold to the touch. I did turn up the furnace a couple degrees today so we can see if that helps. We have a space heater we could try, but they are sort of a fire hazard to leave running for many hours unattended, and besides, then it'd be 900 degrees in there by morning, and that's not good either. So... what shall I do?
Loyal Bloggies, I beseech thee: Protect the Polar Piggies!
Loyal Bloggies, I beseech thee: Protect the Polar Piggies!
I used to put regular weight jammies on under the blanket jammies for extra warmth. Long socks could help, too.
ReplyDeletethis has nothing to do with protecting the polar piggies... but i'd like everyone to note the fact that john is proudly displaying a Dordt College Lacrosse t-shirt... sorry calvin??
ReplyDeleteLoose socks over the PJs could work, maybe with some lovely DC garters strapped to his PJs to match John's shirt. Or perhaps painstakingly sew some insulation to the inside of the footed pajamas. It is disappointing that the feet are the least well insulated part of the garment just for minor things like traction and not wearing out regular fuzzy cloth from chasing after Nonny.
ReplyDeleteBecause I had the same dilemma with my kids I, like the person who commented previously, usually put socks and extra jammies or long johns underneath the kids' sleepers.
ReplyDeleteI raised my babies part of the time in a drafty, freezing old farmhouse. I bought my blanket sleepers large and put socks and onsies or long sleeve undershirts on them, a lighter pajama and then the blanket sleepers. This is the way my mom dressed me for bed growing up in Alaska too. Layers are amazing and are preferred over blankets by all the SIDS sights so that's cool.
ReplyDeleteDefinately socks under warm PJs. If PJ's are narrow on the bottom you can put the socks over the PJs so the skin won't be exposed to the cold. Try to get thick socks, wool is best. And all this advice comes directly from what I did with Jalen. He too hated blankets and it was either that, or constantly checking up on him to make sure he's covered and not cold.
ReplyDeleteOh, I just noticed by looking again ... if you give Isaac those footie PJs .... perfect ... but still give him some cotton socks underneath as the polyester/rubber material of the footie might not be warm enough ... again, same thing I did with Jalen :) ...
ReplyDelete