Friday, October 5, 2012

Part 4: The Icing on the Cake

So the process, once we had the kids' visas, was basically to submit the visas to the DGM for processing of the kids' exit permit.  This took a couple of days, and we hand carried this letter, along with the originals of all the kids' adoption papers through the airport, and all the way home.

The airport on the way home was busy with long lines that weren't moving, and our friend Masiala (the real one, not Amber's Fake Masiala friend) somehow worked his magic, and we skipped all the lines and went straight to the VIP lounge, where they scrutinized our papers and finally let us in, after which time we sipped our complimentary beverages while visiting with David until our plane boarded.

I had not really read these papers until recently, when I was working on the kids' re-adoption papers.  And I was having fun reading the documents, learning a few more bits and pieces of the kids' past.  And I get to the exit permit.

The first line, translated, goes something like this:

Letter requesting permission to leave for a child adopted 01/03/12 to Vivaldi Cesare and Cecchi Christina, adoptive parents of adopted minor children...

Wait.  Who?

The rest of the document has our names all as it should, relatively speaking.  Our last name is spelled wrong in one spot.  And in another spot, we're listed under my maiden name.  And in general, it's a hot mess.  At least the bold print at the bottom is correct.  And maybe that's what counts??

We had also lost Amber's yellow fever card, but somehow we managed never to be asked about it on the way home.  (I think it's a lot bigger deal when you are coming than when you are going.  But technically you are still supposed to have it with you on your way out.)

Our bags were tagged wrong, and we had to re-tag them at Newark so they would actually end up at our final destination.

Amber left her ipad on the plane after the Kinshasa-Brussels flight, never to be seen again.

Raya projectile vomited in Amber's hair just before we went through Immigration.


At any rate, we got home.
And Please- Call me Cesare.

Miracle #4:  We got out of Congo just fine, with papers that weren't done correctly.
Miracle #5:  I didn't notice said mistake until I was already home, thus saving me approximately 2 small strokes, 1 night of lost sleep, and a lot of gray hairs.
Miracle #6:  The kids slept nearly the whole way home, at least on the airplanes.
Miracle #7:  Amber and I are still on good terms after these adventures, and 4 weeks together in a hotel room in the Congo.
Miracle #8.  I'd do it all again if I had to.

For these precious babes?   Oh yes I would.


But I think I might have a hard time convincing Amber to come along next time...

1 comment:

  1. i don't think you'd have to twist amber's arm too hard to go again... don't forget about my bf patrick!!;)

    ReplyDelete