Sunday, June 7, 2009

In Which the Living Room Becometh Less Naked

So we wanted to do the living room with an African theme. And while we could just wait and get authentic remnants from Africa when we go to pick up the babe, there are a couple of drawbacks to this plan:
1. That could be a long time from now, and meanwhile, the LR stands empty, barren, and lonely.
2. We'd have to carry it all back somewhere in our luggage, along with a frightened baby/toddler, ourselves, and all the supplies that that entails.
So, I figgered up a plan. Let's just put some un-authentic stuff around, and then we can get authentic stuff when we are there in whatever quantity we can fit.

So I go shopping around. I found some cute stuff, including but not limited to the following items:


And I was looking on Amazon, and found these wall hanging things, and I thought they would be just lovely for my African Inspired Decor,

but they wanted lots of money. So, being a practiced cheapskate, I thought to myself, "Self, you can make those for lots less money than that. You shall now learn to carve wood." So I skedaddled over Hobby Lobby, and found myself some worthy utensils, and here you go:

So, I altered a couple of the designs from the original, but this is my finished product(s):


Could be I'm biased, but I like them. :)

3 comments:

  1. wow, I am totally impressed! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours are way better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having a hard time believing you just learned how to do that. Yours are much better than the original!

    ReplyDelete